Week 21 Romans 13
Please listen again to the sermon of June 11, re-read Romans 13 and on your own consider these questions, as together we dig deeper.
- What is the role of government in our world? Why did God make “governments”?
- What reasons does Paul give in verse 1-7 of why we should submit to the authority of civil governments?
- How absolute is the state’s power of us?
- Where might you see indications in this passage or others (*remember scripture helps us interpret scripture) that might differ with the absolute power of the state?
- What is the “job description” of the state? What is its purpose? How does this purpose relate to God?
- What is the “job description of the “Christian citizen”? How “good” a citizen are you?
- Consider those who have participated in acts of “civil disobedience? How does this agree with or disagree with Romans 13?
- Does this passage change? confirm? contradict? what you thought you knew about what it means to be a good citizen?