Psongs of Psummer Psalm 96
We will again be organizing a playlist for the psummer and you are invited to join along. This Sunday our psong of psummer from the psalms is Psalm 96. You’re invited then to listen to the sermon again online from Sunday, read Psalm 96 (see below) and then “dig deeper” with us with the questions below.
1 Sing God a brand-new song! Earth and everyone in it, sing! 2 Sing to God – worship God! Shout the news of his victory from sea to sea,
3 Take the news of his glory to the lost, News of his wonders to one and all! 4 For God is great, and worth a thousand Hallelujahs. His terrible beauty makes the gods look cheap; 5 Pagan gods are mere tatters and rags. God made the heavens – 6 Royal splendor radiates from him, A powerful beauty sets him apart. 7 Bravo, God, Bravo! Everyone join in the great shout: Encore! In awe before the beauty, in awe before the might. 8 Bring gifts and celebrate, 9 Bow before the beauty of God, Then to your knees – everyone worship! 10 Get out the message – God Rules! He put the world on a firm foundation; He treats everyone fair and square. 11 Let’s hear it from Sky, With Earth joining in, And a huge round of applause from Sea. 12 Let Wilderness turn cartwheels, Animals, come dance, Put every tree of the forest in the choir – 13 An extravaganza before God as he comes, As he comes to set everything right on earth, Set everything right, treat everyone fair.
- How comfortable or uncomfortable are you with “brand new songs”?
- Do you agree with Kirk’s assessment that this is more of an “Evangelical Psalm” than an “Enthronement Psalm”? Why or why not?
- Is faith only a personal matter for you? How is your faith a public matter?
- What “good news” about your faith have you told someone else?
- What is the mandate of the church? Do you see making disciples as part of that mandate?
- Who could you share your faith with, even today?