New City Catechism–Week 8
Building on the Story—Week 8
Part 1: God, Creation and Fall, Law
Question: “What is the law of God stated in the Ten Commandments?”
Answer: “You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Honour your father and your mother. You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not give false testimony. You shall not covet.
It’s not too late to jump into Building on the Story! We encourage you to join and pick up a book at the church or download the free app. Each week, we will be looking deeper at one question and answer from the “New City Catechism.” We invite you to learn and memorize both the weekly question and answer and to review the questions and answers from the previous weeks. Here are some helpful hints to help with memorization:
– Read the question and answer out loud and repeat.
-Put your book in a place where you will see often or carry it with you for the day.
-Write out the question and answers on a card and tape to your bathroom mirror, for example.
-Review the question and answer first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
-Work with someone else also doing Q&A for fun.
Questions to Consider this Week
- Would you be able to recite all Ten Commandments in order by heart? Why or Why not?
- Do you see the Ten Commandments as important in your life or as an archaic set of rules?
- “If” you were to re-write the Ten Commandments for today would your commandments be similar to the Ten Commandments or similar to the Non-Commandments that Kirk referred to in his sermon?
- Why do you think we should study the Ten Commandments? Fill in the blanks from Kirk’s sermon. 1. A general _______. 2. ________ tradition. 3. Central to ____ _________ ethics. 4. The law is _________.
- Why should we obey the Ten Commandments. Again, fill in the blanks from Kirk’s sermon. 1. Who __ are. 2. Who ___ is. 3. Law leads us to ________.
- Practice memorizing all Ten Commandments in order. But even more see them in a much broader way like seeing “murder” as also something we can do with hurtful words like you love yourself?
- Watch the video to learn (with your fingers) how to remember all 10 of the Ten Commandments. (Have fun)
8. Below is a fun kids song that can also help you remember.