New City Catechism–Week 17
Building on the Story—Week 17
Part 1: God, Creation and Fall, Law
Question: What is idolatry?
Answer: “Idolatry is trusting in created things rather than the Creator”
We are now into our new series and we encourage you to join and pick up a book or download the free app. Each week we will be looking deeper at one question and answer from the “New City Catechism.” We invite you to learn and memorize both the weekly question and answer. Here are some helpful hints to help with memorization:
Þ Read the question and answer out loud and repeat.
Þ Put your book in a place where you will see often or carry it with you for the day.
Þ Write out the question and answers on a card and tape to your bathroom mirror, for example.
Þ Review the question and answer first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
Þ Work with someone else also doing Q&A for fun.
Questions to Consider this Week
- Two of the 10 commandments deal with the question of idols: 1 & 2. Why?
- Often when we think of idols we think of statues or carvings of gods. But idols come in many forms. List a few that come to mind.
- An idol can be anything that we treasure, revere, even respect. Be honest with yourself. What are the things that are most precious to you?
- How can your feelings for these “idols” affect your relationship with God?
- What steps do you need to take to re-order your allegiances so that nothing, no one comes between you and God?